Keywords research is the bedrock of any lawyer SEO marketing strategy out there. With the right keyword research, you can find the search terms and phrases that potential clients may use to find the legal services they need. If you put these terms naturally and strategically on your website, guest blogging, and social media content, you can draw substantial web traffic to your law firm’s website through online and voice search.
With the ever-evolving search engine algorithms and stricter monitoring by Google has made keyword research more challenging than ever. However, having the right tools and strategies at your disposal can help you get your keyword research right.
1. Find Keywords with the Right Search Intent
The easiest way to find the most relevant keywords for your organic lawyer SEO is to use the keywords with the right intent. You can find the keywords with the following search intents.
- Commercial Intent: These are usually keywords pertaining to various areas of legal services such as personal injury lawyer, divorce mediation attorney, and workers compensation lawyer, among others.
- Research/Informational Intent: As the name suggests, people using these keywords are looking for information on legal services. For example, things you need to ask a divorce lawyer or how much a personal injury lawyer will cost. These keywords are usually long and highly specific.
- Localized Intent: These keywords have a physical location (state, city, or even locality) along with a commercial intent keyword. For example, “Orange County personal injury lawyer” or “California divorce mediation attorney” are localized intent keywords.
2. Use Longtail Keywords
Using longtail keywords is an excellent idea because they are often less competitive. They have strong purchase intent as users are looking for specific information. Roughly 70% of page views are the direct result of long-tailed keywords Users are also most likely to use them in voice search.
For example, “best social security attorneys near me” is a longtail keyword which clearly states what a user is looking for. With such strong intent, converting such users is a lot easier.
You can use any of your favorite keyword research tools to find the most relevant longtail keywords for your SEO marketing efforts. (We will provide a list of these tools later in the post.)
Alternatively, you can also see which keywords your competitors are using and reverse engineer their longtail keyword strategy to improve your rankings.
3. Use Keywords with Your Location
Keywords with your location can strengthen your local organic SEO, helping you rank higher in local SERPs. Just like longtail keywords, location-based keywords also have low search volume but high search intent.
You can include your postcode, your town, or your area name along with general keywords to create location-based keywords. For example, you can add a location such as “Atlanta, Georgia” to keywords like “personal injury lawyer,” making it into a location-based keyword such as “personal injury lawyer Atlanta Georgia.”
Make sure to use these keywords to optimize your Google My Business listing, local lawyer directories, and the content on your website, including Metadata and blog posts. However, you must use keywords naturally in the content.
4. Take Advantage of Google Suggest
One of the best ways to find the relevant keywords in Google Suggest. When you type a search term into Google, the search engine suggests a few relevant search terms. You can also use these search terms to boost your local SEO.
Google also suggests relevant search terms at the bottom of the SERPs.
You can find question keywords, which are also longtail keywords, in the “People also ask” section. Adding these questions in an FAQ page or a question-based blog post can help you attract more potential clients.
5. Bonus Tip: List of Keyword Research Tools for Lawyer SEO
You don’t have to rely solely on Google to identify the relevant keywords. You can also use any of the following keyword research tools.
- Google Keyword Planner: It is one of the most popular keyword research tools. Google Keyword Planner allows you to find relevant keywords with just a few clicks. You can quickly find the best matches for your search terms, and understand parameters such as the cost per click, search volume, and others.
- Ubersuggest: Ubersuggest is a free keyword research tool that can help you generate keyword ideas for your content. It can also help you find long-tail versions of the search terms you want. You can also view parameters such as monthly search volume, average CPC, and, and PPC competition.
- Ahrefs: Ahrefs keyword explorer is also an excellent choice to find the most relevant keywords. With this tool, you can get an in-depth analysis of each keyword, such as estimating the popularity of each search query and how many clicks a keyword leads to. However, it’s not a free tool.
- SEMRush: Like Ahrefs, SEMRush is also a keyword research tool that comes with a wide variety of features, including a few that will be your keyword research. You can search both high-volume and low-volume keywords using this keyword research tool. It also offers a comprehensive analysis of your website’s SEO health and its online presence. It’s a paid tool, but you can get a free trial for seven days.
Your Search for a Law Firm Marketing Agency Ends Here
As you can see, keyword research is the backbone of your lawyer SEO marketing strategy. However, you need an expert like Gorilla Webtactics to do the keyword research for your law firm’s SEO. Hiring us comes with two advantages, we will do all the hard work for you, and you can focus on your practice while we take care of your keyword research. Call us today at (612) 470-9877 or contact us online to discuss how we can help improve your lawyer SEO marketing efforts.